Saturday, January 29, 2011
Friday, January 28, 2011
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Census Bureau Reports Women-Owned Firms Numbered 7.8 Million in 2007, Generated Receipts of $1.2 Trillion
A December 7, 2010 U.S. Census Bureau press release notes that:
"In 2007, women owned 7.8 million businesses and accounted for 28.7 percent of all businesses nationwide, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Survey of Business Owners. These firms generated $1.2 trillion in receipts, about 3.9 percent of all business receipts nationwide. (See Table 1 [Excel].)
Businesses owned equally by men and women numbered 4.6 million firms (17.0 percent of all businesses) and generated $1.3 trillion in receipts (4.2 percent of all receipts)."
See also: Women-Owned Businesses (U.S. Census blog)
Friday, January 21, 2011
2011 inductees are Dr. Laura Boyd, Norman; Chloe L. Brown, Tulsa; Joy D. Culbreath, Durant; Marcia J. Mitchell and Kathryn L. Taylor, both of Tulsa; Ardina J. Moore of Miami; Dr. Cynthia S. Ross, Lawton; and Helen Harrod Thompson of Ardmore. Ninety-six women have been previously inducted into the Oklahoma Women’s Hall of Fame. A complete list of previous inductees can be found at: http://women.library.okstate.edu/hof.
Monday, January 17, 2011
Among the 33 business and nonprofit leaders selected by an industry panel from dozens of nominations are the following fourteen remarkable Oklahoma women:
* Cathryn Hibbs, Deaconess Hospital
* Lynn Flinn, The Rowland Group
* Shirley Hammer, Hammer Construction Inc
* Karen Black, A Karen Black Company
* Teresa Moisant, Moisant Promotional Products
* Bliss Morris, First Financial Network
* Nancy Anthony, Oklahoma City Community Foundation
* Anne Masters, Pioneer Library System
* Robyn Sunday-Allen, Oklahoma City Indian Clinic
* Dianna Bonfiglio, Prevent Blindness Oklahoma
* Sharla Hall Owens, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Oklahoma
* Julie Knutson, Oklahoma Academy
* Jan Peery, YWCA Oklahoma City
* Valerie Thompson, Urban League of Greater Oklahoma City Inc.
Reservations for the banquet can be made by contacting Lesley Martin at(405) 278-2820 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individual tickets are $100 and tables for 10 are $1,000.
Source: The Journal Record/Dolan Media - http://www.dolanmedia.com/view.cfm?recID=659640
Monday, January 10, 2011
Sunday, January 09, 2011
Friday, January 07, 2011
Governor Brad Henry has named Judge Noma Gurich to serve on the Oklahoma State Supreme Court.
Gurich will succeed Justice Marion Opala who died in late 2010. She is only the THIRD woman ever appointed to the state supreme court!
You can read more about the appointment by clicking here.