Friday, March 16, 2007

Oklahoma Reporter Mary Jo Nelson Dies

Newspaper reporter Mary Jo Nelson died last Thursday at 80. During her 47-year career, she wrote for both The Oklahoman and the Oklahoma City Times and was inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame in 1992. Nelson was the first female with The Oklahoman and Times to cover federal courts, the first woman to work at the Capitol Bureau at the State Capitol, and on and on and on. I only met her once when she interviewed me for an article but I liked her very much and greatly admired both her writing and her all-around moxie. Read The Oklahoman article about her here. Rest in peace, MJ.

By the way, this is exactly why I created my Notable Oklahoma Women page. This woman had her work published every day for years and years yet when I Google her - almost nothing. She deserves better. When I find a good bio and better picture than the one I stole from OPUBCO, I'll add her to my Oklahoma Women Pioneers page.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this story on my dear, sweet Aunt Mary Jo, she is missed by us very, very much.

    ReplyDelete