Monday, July 14, 2008

Forty-Sixth Star Press Publishes "It Wasn't Much"

Forty-Sixth Star Press, a wonderful new Oklahoma publishing company, focuses on telling Oklahoma's story. As part of their "Oklahoma Portraits Series," they recently published It wasn't Much: Ten True Tales of Oklahoma Heroes by Jana Hausburg with portraits by Cheryl Delany. I loved this book!

Aimed at a young audience, this collection of short biographies tells of ten Oklahomans who have contributed in big as well as small ways to the state, the nation and the world. I am delighted that half the Oklahomans featured are women.

Those women are Rosemary Hogan (the angel of Bataan), Fern Holland (who was assassinated for her work on women's rights in Iraq), Bartlesville's gutsy librarian and civil rights leader Ruth Brown, environmental activist Carrie Dickerson, and Oklahoma City Red Cross volunteer Felicia Daugherty.

In addition to the book, there are http://www.fortysixthstarpress.com/extraheroes.htmlextra materials and activities that supplement each chapter including resource materials, websites and discussion questions.

Oklahoma historians, parents, teachers and librarians, you will want to add this book to your collection. I plan to take several copies with me next time I travel to Kenya to add to our library collections in Meru! Here are a few locations where It Wasn’t Much: True Tales of Ten Oklahoma Heroes is available in Oklahoma City:

Best of Books 1313 E. Danforth in Edmond

Cokesbury, 6907 N May Ave in OKC

The Learning Tree 7638 N Western Ave in OKC

Oklahoma Historical Society Gift Shop 2401 N. Laird Ave in OKC

St. Thomas More Books and Gifts 7904 North May Avenue in OKC

1 comment:

  1. Oklahoma is on the verge of discovering one of the best writers out there. Jana and I wrote on the college newspaper together. She wrote in my college yearbook that I had "metallic laughter." I can't wait to buy her book for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete